Monday Feb 27, 2023
172. Matterport Missing Two Mobile Mapping Scanning Solutions in the AEC Space
Matterport Missing Two Mobile Mapping Scanning Solutions in the AEC Space
Commentary and Analysis by
Founder and Managing Editor
We Get Around Network Forum and WGAN-TV Podcast
While the Matterport Pro3 Camera scans faster than a Matterport Pro2 Camera and Leica BLK360 scanner, Matterport still needs to add two mobile mapping solutions in the AEC Space.
For example, at Geo Week 2023 in Denver earlier this month, at least two mobile mapping scanning solutions were displayed in the the Geo Week expo space that Matterport is missing:
1. Cupix Mobile Mapping Solution - Cupix uses an Insta360 ONE X2 360 camera - to create a video where the camera captures every two seconds paired with videogrammetry to create a 3D model.
2. NavVis VLX 2nd Generation Mobile Solution - The NavVis VLX 2nd generation captures both LiDAR scan data and 360 photography to create a 3D model.
The single largest expense in scanning is labor. I could imagine that these two mobile mapping solutions (above) can capture a space 20 times faster (than moving a tripod from point-to-point (even with a dolly).
Scanning 20 times faster enables:
1. Daily, weekly or monthly construction documentation
2. Super-large spaces such as a shopping center (including the parking lot)
3. More AEC scanning opportunities
Because Matterport is building out its platform for many verticals, in multiple countries and in multiple languages, my impression is that it innovates slower than other scanning solutions.
In the AEC space, Matterport is competing with companies that are solely focused on the AEC space and, thus, can innovate faster when focused on only one vertical.
If you are a Matterport Service Provider thinking that you like getting paid at the pace that you presently scan, I could imagine that competing solutions -- that take one-twentieth of the time to scan -- will make you irrelevant.
To "catch up" in the AEC space, Matterport needs to either:
1. Develop a low and high-end mobile mapping scanning solution
2. Acquire companies that already offer mobile mapping scanning solutions
3. Be acquired by a company that can "roll-up" competitive companies
4. License mobile mapping scanning solutions
5. Partner with mobile mapping scanning solutions to integrate Matterport as a "publish to" solution
What are your thoughts about Matterport and mobile mapping solutions?
Join the WGAN Forum discussion (www.WGANForum.com) here:
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.